Monday, September 10, 2012

LETTER #13 - 27 JAN 1944





My little notes:  After his last discouraging letter, it is nice to hear him sound more positive and have more confidence again.  He writes words like "wonderful letter", "beautiful" and "never felt better".    I feel this has a lot to do with the letter he received from his Dad.  He needed that reassurance from his Dad that only a parent can do.  I only wish I could have read that "wonderful letter" or any letters from the family.  However, I am fortunate to have these letters from my Uncle and learn firsthand his experience during training.  Again, I look forward to the next!

Must see videos!  
WWII camouflage techniques training film - cartoon

If you have a little time to spare I recommend watching these entertaining 1944 cartoon camouflage training videos.  There are three parts.  The first and second parts are 9 minutes each and the last part is only 3 minutes.  If anything, at least watch the first one!   They are from the Army Air Forces (recognize the insignia?) and from 1944, so I am thinking there is a pretty good chance my Uncle may have seen these!  They are very basic and probably more of an introduction to camouflage training.  Remember, "Hide the Shadow"!  Enjoy....


WWII camouflage techniques - part 1 (9 minutes)

WWII camouflage techniques - part 2 (9 minutes)

WWII camouflage technique - part 3 (3 minutes)

2 comments:

  1. Yay for the happy letter! :D Yes it is nice to see his spirits lifted. I wonder what he's talking about at the end though with "I'm getting tired of the stunts they pull on you". I like that he wants pictures of all the pets, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he is referring to the pets. His parents must be telling him stories about their pets. They had like 2 dogs, few cats, birds and who knows what else!

    ReplyDelete