Saturday, September 1, 2012

LETTER #11 - 25 JAN 1944






































My little notes:  
Makes me wonder if he originally enlisted to be a pilot?  He really seems determined to be up in the air!  Now that the standards are raised becoming a pilot seems much harder.

Pretty gross about the chicken soup and unsanitary measures at the Base!  I guess this is not at the top of the list for the U.S. Army.  You have to applaud these enlisted men for what training and living conditions they had!

My favorite part, when he is excited that the mail is here and he gets their package and ate most of it already!  And his Mom adding toilet articles that he does not need.  I would have done that myself!  Also, he mentions how he loves the chocolate kisses.  I did a little investigating on Hershey kisses and apparently  kisses were not produced during the war between 1942-1949.   So either he was eating old candy or perhaps a different chocolate candy looking similar to kisses like Brach's chocolate stars?  I guess we will never know but he seemed happy!   Here is the email from Hershey:

Hi Cindy,

Thank you for asking about our HERSHEY'S KISSES Milk Chocolate Candy.


The production of KISSES has been interrupted only once. The bite-size chocolates were not produced from 1942 to 1949 due to the rationing of silver foil during and after Word War II. During the war, the ingredient mixing units in the KISSES molding department were utilized for tempering military ration bar chocolate paste. It is estimated that paste for more than 3 billion ration units was produced during this period.


We hope you have a sweet day.


Jean

Consumer Representative


 http://www.thehersheycompany.com/about-hershey/our-story/hersheys-history.aspx








1 comment:

  1. Well, I don't have too much to say, I agree with all of your notes, and a lot of it we talked about already! The chicken heads and feet made me squirm, lol. They all seem anxious to switch bases. It doesn't sound like he enjoyed the area, either. I laughed about the toilet articles too, lol. I agree that he's determined to be a pilot.

    ReplyDelete