Monday, July 23, 2012

LETTER #6 - 1 JAN 1944

"Nipponese" a term related to anything Japanese.  Postcard from my Uncle Louie to my Dad.

Postcard sent to my Dad from Uncle Louie, January 1944



January 1, 1944.  Sounds like a typical big brother to little brother letter.  Still not in much training yet, but I am sure in the next letter or two that will change.  The Air Corps insignia he mentions I do have and will post with the corresponding letter.  He sounds restless and can't wait for his training to begin soon. 

Top Movies in 1943/1944 according to www.filmsite.org:

1943: This Is the Army (1943)  /  A Guy Named Joe (1943)   (Not surprisingly both movies were military, patriotic-themed movies!)

1944: Going My Way (1944)  /  Meet Me in St. Louis (1944)

2 comments:

  1. I felt bad that Granddadd didn't write more, LOL! He sounds like he really wishes he could share his experiences with his family, and isn't sure how to, but is trying. I've never heard the term "Nipponese" before. I figured it was for sure racist, but I guess not so much! At least from what I read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was more just a slang term used. Something new to me too. The next letter to his parents (still 1/1/1944) really gets more in details with his training and what is going on. Posting soon!

    ReplyDelete