Monday, July 2, 2012

INTRO

Louis H. Thomsen Jr.
United States Army - Air Corps -  Staff Sergeant -Troop Carrier Squadron - Gunner

Louie at 18 as a private and newly enlisted 1944.



126 Letters written to his parents and brother.  Some letters are from a few service buddies and a couple from the War Dept.
This is my first attempt at blogging, so bear with me! 

While doing family genealogy with my daughter, I came to realize that many side projects spawn from it such as this project.  I was inherited many old photos and documents of my grandparents.  Many letters from Denmark on my grandfather's side (I see another blog potential here!), many photos from Denmark, old photos of my grandparents before my Dad was born, old documents from both sides (German and Danish) and an old wooden box of letters.  These letters were written from the time span of Dec. 1943 (my uncle enlisted in the Army shortly after his birthday on Dec. 17, 1943) to March 1946.  The 1943 letters start off with one postcard from Fort Sheridan Dec. 1943.  From there he is transferred to Gulf Port Field, Mississippi where he begins his training and goes from there.  I thought if I put them in chronological order we can follow along his journey and experience. 

I find these letters intriguing as I see first hand through the eyes of my uncle being in the military and doing his training and service while corresponding this to his family.  I see him as a young man seeing the world during WWII, showing concern for his parents, and still looking out for his little brother, my Dad, who was 12 years old in 1943.  Nothing like this I remember in our history books!  It gives me great pride to have family who have served and fought for our freedom.  I also learn more about my Dad's family during this time period.  So without further adieu, I give you at the moment, Private Louis H. Thomsen.

4 comments:

  1. This is so great! I love that we can capture this moment in history as it actually was for him. The blog looks awesome!! I'm happy you started it! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Still getting familiar with it all, but I think it will be nice to have all the letters here in order. :D

      Delete
  2. Awesome, great idea Cindy! Thanks so much for sharing these with us.

    - Skipp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, glad to share! and thanks to Nyssa for encouraging me to do this!

      Delete