Sunday, March 3, 2013

LETTER #34 - 8 AUGUST 1944 from Mrs. Luke Lloyd




















































































A soldier writing to his mother.  Looks like Army Air Forces stationary!

(1943 Ad Bell Aircraft Airacobras Plane Aviation Wartime WWII Mother Military - Ben Stahl)



































My little notes:
If you have been following, I gave you heads up on Alvin Lloyd in the last post.  Alvin was another Army buddy of Louie's.  Apparently, he too like Ray Kubick, visited my grandparents on a weekend leave.  It makes me proud that my uncle and my grandparents did such a sweet gesture to welcome another Army pal into their home for a good home cooked meal!  This is the only letter we will see from Chassie Lloyd.  I did a little research and found out that Chassie and Luke Lloyd had 5 sons.  It appears that the first 3 were in the service.  All survived the war and were veterans.  Alvin was the oldest.  He also outlived everyone in his family.  He passed away in 2008 and is buried at the Florida National Military Cemetery (see his memorial below).  Also, Luke and Chassie divorced at some point and Luke remarried in 1957.  Chassie lives a long live and dies at the age of 95 in 1995.  I have been trying to see if I can contact family, like Ray Kubick's family, but no luck yet.  It is interesting to see how our lives are connected.  Here a soldier from Greeneville, Tennessee meets up with a city boy from Chicago.  We will be hearing from Alvin in about 4-5 letters he writes to my grandparents, but not until 1945.  We are still in the summer of 1944 for now.

LINKS BELOW TO THEIR FIND-A-GRAVE MEMORIALS:

Link to Chassie Lloyd's memorial on Find-A-Grave

Link to Alvin V. Lloyd's memorial on Find-A-Grave






No comments:

Post a Comment