Thursday, June 26, 2014

LETTER #72 - 15 APRIL 1945 TO HIS KID BROTHER, TOM



My Little Notes:  I love all the big brother advice!  Being over a 5 year span between them, can definitely make a difference.  He does give good advice though. Not sure why my Dad did not go to Lane Tech, but I know that he went to Steinmetz High School for two years and then to Washburne Trade School as mentioned in the previous post. My Dad stayed with his carpentry skills pretty much throughout his life like his father did.

Yes, it definitely was an untimely death for President Roosevelt with WWII still going on. Just 16 days later Benito Mussolini was captured and executed; 2 days after that Adolf Hitler commits suicide; and on May 8, 1945 Victory in Europe is declared.  Also, interesting they declared a Day of Mourning for the President...something I did not realize. 

President Franklin Delano Roosevelt dies April 12, 1945.

Chicago Newspaper Front Page

The Newspaper talks about Day of Mourning, probably the day my Dad had no school.

Death of a president link

This Day in History, FDR dies

1945 WWII Timeline Link

No comments:

Post a Comment